In the tattoo world, one design element that has achieved a great deal of popularity is the Yin and Yang symbol. The symbol is a vital part of Chinese culture that represents male and female unity and balance. The Yin, being the feminine force and the Yang, being the masculine power. The Yin and Yang are usually done in black and white color however, it is not uncommon to see them in black and red as well. The Yin is in white with a black dot in it and the Yang is done in Black with a white dot in the middle. Visually both portions are shown to be equal size.
- This yin and yang symbol is such a classic symbol and tribal behind it is a beautiful touch. If you look closely you can see that the tribal makes up a traditional dragon and that dragon is holding the yin-yang in its claws. I love how this yin yang has texture to it. A very original idea.
2. A small and classy yin yang tattoo always looks good on the ankle. The high heels really add a sense of sex appeal to this woman’s tattoos. This small yin yang tattoo and the high heels gives us a hint of an idea that woman may have a business side and fun side.
3. This tattoo may have been done at home. Though its a powerful symbol, the line work and symmetry isn’t as good as it could be. In all honesty, this is a good example of why you should let a professional do your tattoo and not to take it into your own hands.
4. now this is the ultimate yin and yang tattoo. The detail and color in this tattoo would have taken possibly days to complete. The electric blues on the left side of the body, and the fire reds on the right side are truly a site to see. I love how the yin yang is up in the smoke above the mystic face. This tattoo is an amazing example of symmetry and traditional style. it truly pays to take your precious time and endure the pain for a perfect tattoo.
5. This is a very cool idea to split the yin side and yang side to two different sides of the body. Its a very clever and unique idea that though both sides are different, it promotes symmetry and originality. It makes me want to pick up each piece fro this girls back and slide them together to connect thing yin yang right in the center of the back. The line work is smooth and clean and the shading and coloring is well done as well.
Looking a bit deeper into the Chinese meaning, you will often find that the concept and importance of the Yin and Yang tattoo ranks pretty high alongside the Phoenix and the Dragon. The Yin Yang is also known as the Tajitu which, means the Yin has a destructive outlook and the Yang is supposed to create. They are complete opposites who are also supposed to be drawn to one another.
6. This tattoo is vibrant and filled with color and life! The idea to make this landscape piece double as a yin yang is brilliant. The tree acts a divide in the yin yang and setting sun and rising moon act as the two dots in the yin yang sign. The detail in both sides I breath taking and really creates a desire in you to stare and analyze this tattoo for hours. everything from the contrast in style to the difference in leaves stand out in this wonderful piece of art.
7. This yin yang tattoo is made up of two images and is portrayed in the classic tribal tattoo style. The right side of the yin yang is a fierce dragon and the left side is a beautiful and artistic design. both sides compliment each other and create individuality. This is a powerful symbol that is illustrated well in this classic tattoo.
8. A tattoo like this is very rarely seen. This perfectly shaded tattoo puts a spin on the eternally classic yin yang. Not only is the darker side of the yin yang not completely filled in, but its filled elaborate details. the beautiful floral designs that gently hide in the midst of the dark shading create a unique design both on the left side as well as the dark shaded dot on the right side.
9. This is a bold and brilliant design that combines a dragon and A yin yang. The additional read that goes through the neck and the spine is a great addition of color that really makes this fierce dragon pop. I really like how the body of the Dragon is a yin Yang and it flows perfectly. The wings are very well done and very symmetrical. Much respect to both the canvas and the tattoo artist.
10. This tattoo has multiple levels of beauty creativity and abstract thinking. I love how the red line goes through the entire tattoo. It creates a sense of boldness and creativity. The entire tattoo is filled with great art and perfect shading. The symbols around the tattoo are a great addition and the I in the middle of getting yin Yang is very unique. This design was well thought out.
The concept of male – female and yin and Yang that are opposing forces that work together from opposite ends is a concept that is not just limited to the Chinese way of thinking. Even other cultures believed in this way of thinking. You can go in for a tattoo with the Yin and Yang as part of the design to show a sense of balance and harmony within you and in all the elements around you. It means that even forces that are diametrically opposite can manage to coexist and work together. Taken purely as a tattoo design you can be sure that this tattoo will be noticed and commented upon.