Hawaiian tattoos now a days are getting very popular. Hawaiian tattoos basically, resemble the deep culture of Hawaiian Islands and heritage through different symbols and elements associated to the beautiful culture of Hawaii. That is why all men and women that wear these tattoos associate themselves deeply with those cultures.
In ancient times, Hawaiians referred the art of tattooing as “kakau”. Tattooing for people at those times was a way to express their bravery because of the painful method by which it was done. Traditionally, Hawaiian tattoo was done only in black colour. For this, the skin of the person had to be cut open and tattoo ink made up of ash and soot was poured in the cut. Then, the ash and soot were allowed to get dry so that the ink pigment may turn black.
- This traditional Hawaiian style tattoo is a great example of what this style of tattooing is all about. Big, black and artistic. The design almost acts as a badge of honor or that it tells a story in itself. The solid black lines and the flow of the whole thing give you the knowledge that this tattoo was most likely very painful but well worth it.
But with the influence of Western culture, Hawaiian tattoos began to gain colour and each design started getting an exotic touch. But traditionally, the designs used to revolve around geometric patterns and symmetric designs, that too in black ink.
The style followed by Hawaiians and Maori culture was the same. Although, men and women both used to get those painful tattoos inked on their skin but men usually outnumbered the women. Some of them used to cover their entire body from head to toe with tattoo. But each tattoo held a deep meaning within itself and depicted a great story for its emergence. One could understand the whole story of a person’s life by reading his tattoos. Although full body tattooing was not meant for women, but still they had their fair share of them. The best thing about these tattoos was its symbolic nature.
2. This tattoo flows across the chest of this man effortlessly. The detail within this tribal tattoo is captivating and perfectly placed. Even the parts of this tattoo that are more simple and less detailed like the pieces of his right side are eye catching. The negative space on this chest piece is used very well and
As Hawaiian tattoos possess deep meaning in themselves, they are worn by many men and women to represent the Hawaiian tradition and heritage. These tattoos can depict the whole history of the great Hawaiian culture and portray a specific island or the state of Hawaii. They are as a symbol of respect for their ancient cultural heritage.
SYMBOLS AND MEANINGS
Hawaiian tattoo designs symbolize religious devotion, rites , bravery, status, ranks and heritage. There are a variety of symbols used in Hawaiian tattoos that possess different meanings. Some of them are:
One of the most popular design in Hawaiian tattoo is that of the Gecko, which is believed to have supernatural powers. It is a conception that the green gecko brings illness and bad fortune to whomever it comes in contact with.
3. What I love about this tattoo is that not only is it a gecko, but its also a beautiful tribal design at the same time. The brilliance of this Hawaiian tribal gecko not having an outline is a really cool idea. A very clever idea to add to this tattoo is that every limb of the gecko is a different style. the legs and arms are both different designs of tribal beauty.
As per the fact, sharks resemble a powerful creature and are considered sacred. It is a symbol of protection to the wearer.
4. This person is definitely going to protected from ever getting made fun of ever again. This tattoo is fierce, ferocious, and bad ass. The shark has a great flow and a great sense of movement. The dorsal fin was done really well and it wasn’t lost in the midst of the rest of the shark. Its also a really cool idea to have the shark start on the back and make its way across and onto the arm.
Supposed to be the first human being, The Tiki is called a mythical ancestor of humans and has the superpower to smell danger.
5. this tattoo is fun, detailed, and well done. This shows what looks like an older man guessing from the body dressing up in traditional Hawaiian attire and taking on a whole other aura. The oversized mask is very well illustrated but also gives this tattoo a sense of humor by the size of it. The grass skirt, shield, and spear show that this guy is ready for whatever is coming his way.
We all are well aware of the fact that during ancient times, shells were used as a form of currency. So, they resemble prosperity and wealth.
6. this simple yet beautiful tattoo was very well done. the detail within each yellow block and the way that the tattoo goes onto the chest, then onto the arm, then onto the back, and then finish off by coming over the shoulder is an interesting idea. I wonder if this tattoo looks odd when this man’s arm isn’t at his side, would the tattoo look broken or incomplete?
Due to its long life span, sea turtle symbolizes long life and also fertility.
7.The person that has this tattoo is going to living a long time with a really well done tattoo. The symmetrical bottom legs and top legs give this turtle consistency but also individuality at the same time. if you look closely within the shell you can see an overjoyed face of some sort. the shut squinting eyes and the clever grin help us to assume that this face is very content with where he or she is,
This beautiful native flower is a symbol of love, beauty, luxury and magnificence. People with unique, free-spirited and mysterious nature, should go for Orchid tattoo.
8. The way that this orchid perfectly flows down this woman’s arm is amazing. The way that the color is popping out of the flower tattoo causes you to instantly be drawn to it. The perfectly placed yellows and shading create the feeling that this flower real enough to touch and pluck its peddles. the transition down the arm gives this tattoo two personalities.
One of the most popular design, Hibiscus flower symbolizes delicate beauty because it is fragile and has short life. It is considered to associate well with summer and fun.
9. the line work on this tattoo is very clean and very well done. You can tell that this tattoo artist definitely knows what he or she is doing. The slight reds in the middle of the flower and the way that they oranges and yellows dance within the flower bring this tattoo to life. This tattoo is simple at first glance but the more you look at it, the more you begin to appreciate it.
10. This classic traditional American style tattoo of a Hawaiian woman adds culture, flare, and style all on one piece. everything from the hair to the flowers was perfectly executed.
11. This is a cool mix of the Hawaiian style of tribal tattooing and an Asian flare with the classic power symbol; the dragon.