Moon is probably one of the things that we earthlings have always been fascinated by. It makes it natural that it should be a popular element in tattoo designs. The fact is that both men and women have a liking for tattoos featuring. The reasons behind this may sometimes be obvious and in some cases could have a lot of deeper symbolic meaning. The moon is one such design that lends itself in a versatile manner with a lot of things including other elements of the sky like the great sun, the stars. Even celestial beings like pixies and fairies are shown along with the moon tattoo design.
- This is a really cool tattoo with the contrast of black and skin. It creates a thought provoking image that is intense and somewhat ominous. The artist did a great job with the lines especially with the skull as it penetrates the darkness.
Moon not only represents immense beauty it is also regarded as the symbol of femininity and motherhood. Over the past in many cultures the moon has had a major role and also plays a significant role in many myths and folklore. Many a man has woven fantasies about the beauty of the moon and compared it with the flawless beauty of a woman. Likewise women have revered the moon for its luminous and clear beauty.
2. This is an exceptional piece because it has three dimensional qualities that are really hard to do. It’s also pretty hard to do a portrait well and this artist nailed it. The eyes tell such a story and seem so life like. The lips of the moon have so much detail in them. The color choices of white, black, grey and red create this over world type quality that is so mysteriously and somewhat alluring.
In astrology, the moon is nothing short of one of the main players. It is associated with the planets and the earth in many significant ways. Plus the moon as the mother and the representative of motherhood has a strong influence in eastern as well as western cultures. With her cool rays and soothing look, the moon is definitely a motherly presence. Another thing that the moon is associated with is feelings and emotions.
3. This moon is just a sliver compared to the dragon. It appear to be the dragons support system. Almost like his resting place or something. The colors go really well together and the details are quite vivid.
In fact it has been scientifically proven that the moon does have some effects on our mind, the movement of the waves and many other things. People who are into science believe that mood came about into existence due to the crash of a planet on to earth many years ago.
4. These five images are super complicated and extremely well done. Take a moment to enjoy the talent this artist has and what patience and expertise it would take to make this images all look the same and yet all be so very different. It seems to be the various stages of the moon as it cycles each month.
In a tattoo design the moon could be depicted in many sizes and in numerous ways. Some choose to go with the fantasy element and show celestial beings like pixies and fairies lingering near the moon. Some like to show the moon along with the sun, some go with the blue moon, some with the black looking moon and some with the various types of moon as it goes through the cycle.
5. This is a really gorgeous image of a raven. With such a large amount of dark colors, the artist used quite a bit of ink to really penetrate and make it look so good.
Another thing that the moon has often been associated, especially in Native American lore is with animals. They associate the moon with coyotes, crabs, wolves, bats, cats, jaguars and many other creatures of the night. One of the most common motifs is of the wolf in profile looking up at the moon in a howling position. The native American tribes tracked the cycle of the moon and had names for each month.
6. The red hues used in this are on point. The howling wolf looks so real. It’s incredible the way his face was captured in such a realistic way. The detail in the fur is really cool because it looks like the wind is blowing it.
January was the wolf moon, February was associated with snow moon, the month of March with Worm moon, the warm month of April with Pink moon, May with flower moon, June was linked with the strawberry moon, July with the buck moon, August with sturgeon, September with harvest, October with Hunter, November with beaver and December with the cold moon. Considering the rough seasonal changes and changes in nature this makes a lot of sense.
7. There is so much going on in this image. It’s set up in the sky with the stars surrounding it and it’s set among the clouds. The shading done on the moon is really cool because it shows the craters in the moon. The little child fishing for stars is super cute and this probably has a lot of sentimental value.
Moon is such a complex subject for tattoos that it represents some elements of fantasy like moods, emotions, beauty, renewal and other things and also earthy and strong elements like motherhood, balance, nurturing, calm, serenity and balance among other elements.
8. Do you see the little stars intertwined in the hair and above the moons? It’s such an intricate and cool idea. The line detail here is pretty much amazing. The contrasting colors really make the image stand out and it’s such an interesting overall piece.
Since the moon is closer to the sky and thereby the heavens it is not wrong to associate with divinity and other related aspects. Among the people of the orient the moon represents Yin the symbol of night, darkness and femininity and the sun represents Yang the forces of day, light and masculinity. Couples find this tattoo depicting the sun and moon working together to provide day and night very significant for tattoo designs.
9. Here is a classic moon image with the clouds hanging around it. The shading helps add dimension to the craters for a more realistic look.
10. This is such a dainty look and it’s so feminine and pretty.
11. This has kind of a skater girl look that is hip and edgy. Does anyone else think the red on her head looks like eyes? The artist did a really good job with the line detail. Her eyes seem so big and cartoon like which is what they were going for here.
12. She chose a pretty gnarly spot to get inked but the outcome was beautiful. What a neat idea to have such beautiful imagery within the moon sphere. It has a tree, angels and day and night. What do you think it’s supposed to represent?
13. We love this for so many reasons. First, the color is exquisite. The lips, nose and eyes are on point and the way the moon looks like it’s water is insanely good. The use of white to exhibit contrast is such a great idea and the whole thing is just amazing.
14. There is such a simple yet complicated beauty to this image. Check out the incredible detail in the flowers. There is so much curving and line detail that’s unmistakably good. We really like the variation in colors as well. This is an excellent piece.
15. The way that the rose wraps around the moon makes it look really well done. We like the added dimension of the butterfly. It’s a whimsy look that is dream like and fun.
16. This is a tribal look that has a deep black color as the only color chosen in this palette. What do you think of this?
17. Behind the ear tattoos look really cool when they are done right. This one is pretty big but it’s not too overbearing. We like the added pops of sparkle around the moon which are probably the stars.
18. This is a pretty interesting piece. The face looks so forlorn and the coloring has a dismal look but that’s probably what he was probably trying to convey. They did a great job with the shading and line detail.
20. This is really great. They picked great color choices and whole thing is aesthetically pleasing.
21. This is a really pretty tattoo. The eyelash detail and the sharp lines makes for a really good look.
22. This angry moon has an interesting look about it that would be sure to be a great conversation starter. What do you think about the stars rising from it? It’s pretty interesting and would be kind of cool if they added some coloring to it for an added pop.
23. Check out the line work on this. It’s skillfully done and turned out really nice.
25. We love the detail in this piece. She chose great placement for this art.
26. The white makes the entire piece seem to sparkle. It’s very beautiful.
27. This is a neat version of the solar system. She could easily keep going and make a full sleeve which would look pretty cool. The pastels she added in there look very cool.
28. This is very detailed and has such a fresh and springlike feel to it.
29. Here’s a great small tattoo idea.
30. We love the various detail here.
31. This is an excellent example of shading. The artist did a tremendous job with this design.