Leprechauns are supposed to be good luck right? Then how come this list of 24 leprechaun tattoos is just so darn scary? Well, they’re known for being mischievous tricksters, even though they might be the key to a pot of gold. These tatts are usually worn by the Irish – and sometimes even just by those that love a Guinness or two!
Leprechauns are creatures that are part of Irish folklore. They are known to be older men who are cobblers or shoemakers that love to sing as they work. You may not know this, but they are also considered fairies. Apparently as legend would have it, they are rather rich because of war time plunders. They are known to be sly and mischievous creatures. In tattoo art, they typically have red hair, angry faces, intense eyes and wear green. They almost always have a hat on and usually complete their outfit with some shoes and a big ole belt. These beings are known to lead people astray for the sake of fun. Irishmen of old will tell you that when you see a leprechaun and stare at it, that he cannot leave your presence but as soon as you stop looking at him, he will disappear.
They aren’t necessarily bad guys but they aren’t known to be the nicest of all folklore characters. For this reason some people see them as creatures that are harmful and bent on causing problems. But they can also be jolly fellows for whom life comprises only of consuming ale, smoking on the pipe and guarding their pot of gold which is supposed to be where a rainbow ends.
According to tales, you will never be able to predict how they will turn out. They could be full of themselves and tend to mislead or go the other way completely. Therefore, tattoos based on these creatures tend to be quite wide in range and depending on what the person wants to believe. The art can tell a story that is specific to that person and the leprechaun can represent as much. No matter how you decide to portray these beings, a leprechaun tattoo is definitely colorful and interesting.
- Leprechaun with clover tattoo: This could be the imagination and the wish of a positive person. But when you choose to get leprechaun, you get to decide what he will look like. As lively as they are, they are said to hold a piece of good luck through a four leaf clover! You will find that the work that goes into this deceptively simple tattoo is quite detailed. Take a minute as you scroll through and you’ll see what we mean. This leprechaun looks a bit upset with his fiery demeanor and overall aggression.
2. Leprechaun on skis tattoo: This looks like the leprechaun is having a wonderful time on the slopes. The knife wielding man also depicts someone who is a little bit bent on mischief. Did you notice the doll he’s got in his other hand? Hopefully he didn’t snag that from a small child. Once again the detailed work that goes to show him on the move would need to be really and intricate. Nice line work to the artist.
3) Leprechaun standing guard on pot of gold: The fierce expression of the leprechaun’s face is probably enough to intimidate everyone. It takes the most courageous of looters to get the pot of gold. It looks like this guy definitely won. Not being able to see his eyes gives him a mysterious look. This is the true essence of the leprechaun and is portrayed quite well. Take a look at that sneaky grin. Excellent background shading with this art.
4) Leprechaun holding Machine Gun tattoo: A leprechaun with the weapon of destruction would be showing his true essence as some folks believe. But of course one has to know that both these elements belong to different eras. The eyes are so penetrating. You might have noticed by now that the more menacing images tend to have pointy noses and squinted eyes as if they are concentrating on what’s at hand.
Men usually opt for the leprechaun more often than females although you may see one or two Irish women rocking this image in an Irish bar. Most guys get them on their arms although there isn’t a right or wrong place to get inked. The upper arm is the most popular but you’ll see a variation that extends to the back and shoulders as well. It’s an easy place to cover up for work and it’s fun to show off on the weekends if you wear a tank or pot to go shirtless. Like we said, it’s a commonly a male piece although plenty of females get them too. They’re seen as more of the “tough persona” rather than a whimsy feel good type of art. They’re typically displayed as aggressive if not a bit mysterious. And then of course, there’s the image of the leprechaun just kicking back and having a great time with the boys. Leprechauns give off the “good ole time” mentality which just plays into their mischievous vibe. Many Irishmen choose to ink a leprechaun on themselves for good luck and a reminder to have fun.
5) Leprechaun with Beer Mug tattoo: In this tattoo the leprechaun is showing his partying and fun loving side. One can see the clothes he is wearing through the beer mug which makes a powerful visual impact. This image makes the leprechaun look like he’s more interested in having a good time than in getting into trouble.
6) Leprechaun Riding on a Beer Keg tattoo: This one displays the partying side of the leprechaun and the expression on his face confirms his love for consuming the drink. The details of him sitting on top of the keg look really good. The coloring here really brings out his eyes and makes them appear so tired. It kinda looks like it’s about time for him to go home and sleep it off. The four leaf clover is another significant piece to Irish folklore. It’s thought to bring good luck.
7) Evil looking Leprechaun Tattoo: The expression on his face is enough to show his diabolical side. You definitely want to avoid getting on the wrong side of that. The clouds above him have a billowing effect that only intensify the imagery. The way he was inked on his back, makes his hands appear as though he is beckoning you into his plans. He’s probably asking you to join his mischief.
Leprechauns are important figures in Irish culture. They’ve also been accepted all around the world thanks to movies, books and various media popularizing them. Lucky Charms cereal is a great example of a leprechaun finding his pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. When did you first hear about these folklore characters?
8) Leprechaun as Fireman tattoo: This one shows the leprechaun in a protective mode as he helps fight a fire. This is another opposite view of the leprechaun that many people hold. With details like the four leaf clover on his hat, his look of enjoying a last smoke before moving on, all these add to the charm of this tattoo. Although charm may be a bit strong as this guy is flipping everyone the bird. He seems to be a bit put out with people.
9) Summation of Leprechaun Tattoos: These colorful creatures are part of legends and we know their penchant for green outfits, smoking the pipe and drinking beer. This is apart from revelry, fun, guarding gold and causing mischief. Put all these together and you have tattoo designs that will kindle the imagination. They can be great to look at with their colorful look. And the tattoo artist could use their imagination to add the expression on the leprechaun’s face and the other elements in the tattoo to make it look really compelling and charming.
Here are some of cool designs of Leprechaun Tattoos that range from scary to merriment. As Irish folklore goes, they are merry little creatures that have a penchant for getting into trouble. They’re not all bad but they do seem to be more on the wayward side than anything else. As you scroll through, you’ll see a common theme that most of these images are placed on the upper body although there are a few that are on the lower body well. Where would you place yours?
10) This guy looks a little bit threatening and mischievous. His grayish skin and long fingernails only continue to promote the imagery of mischief and trouble. His fiery eyes are a bit intimidating as well. You’ll notice that a lot of these images have the leprechauns coming out of the skin. Perhaps the people are trying to convey that they have a “leprechaun” who wants to come out and play in each of them.
11) Woah! Intense fury as he literally crawls out of this guys arm. This is so pretty with great detail and life like artistic work. The detail in every wrinkle is pretty astounding. Even the coloring of his nails is grotesque yet life like. This probably took a lot of time and attention to detail for this artist. Painstaking as it may have been, they did an amazing job.